St Bernadette’s aspires to be a place which offers a stimulating environment founded on Gospel values, empowering our community to meet the challenges of our changing world.
St Bernadette’s is a Catholic school in Ivanhoe providing a supportive community for teachers, children and families that espouses our motto “Love One Another”. Co-operation, communication and appreciation permeate community relationships exemplifying the Gospel values of love, equality, peace and reflection.
A comprehensive and inclusive curriculum reflects the individual needs, experiences and contributions of community members enabling them to meet life’s challenges in a safe and secure environment
In light of our Mission statement, we hold the following beliefs about our teaching practices and environment…
- We believe learning and teaching place the teacher in the role of facilitator and model in the provision of knowledge and skills. The teacher organizes resources, activities and personnel to maximise the learning outcome of the children.
- We believe learning and teaching values each child’s uniqueness and as teachers we must enhance and respect each child’s individuality. This occurs when children relate to each other and are able to respect the intrinsic worth and accept the differences of each member of their community.
- We believe learning and teaching is achieved in a non-threatening, stimulating and supportive environment which exposes children to our faith, values and beliefs.
- We believe learning and teaching about immersing children in a relevant curriculum which encourages enquiry, experimentation, risk-taking and discovery in the search for knowledge, the development and aquisition of skills and the understanding of concepts.
- We believe learning and teaching should provide an atmosphere in which children feel safe to take risks and make mistakes which in turn will enhance a sense of self worth and confidence.
- We believe learning and teaching challenges all participants to build on present knowledge and past experiences to achieve realistic goals so that they develop as independent learners and self-disciplined thinkers.
- We believe learning and teaching should enable children to have the opportunity to aspire to excellence.